Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram) is the most popular legume / Dal from the List of Pakistani & Indian Dals. That’s why Where ever you go in the world you could find Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram) in every Pakistani & Indian kitchen.
It is used as the main ingredient in many dishes from simple Dal Gosht to Hyderabadi Kabuli Biryani or Delicious Dessert like Chana Dal Halwa, and also used for tempering and in the preparation of masalas.
Chana dal is highly nutritious even when is roasted or powdered to make the besan i.e. chickpea flour or Bengal gram flour. It has a rich flavor and aroma.
In Pakistan & India, almost every region has some special delicacies and recipes made with Chana Dal (Split Bengal gram).
They work well in soups, salads, and rice dishes. Combined with Rice, Chapati, Paratha, Phulka and roti, it provides the essential amino acids for complete protein.
22 Health Benefits of Chana Dal
1. 1 serving of chana dal (30 grams) provides around 100 calories
2. Chana Dal is rich in B-complex vitamins such as B1, B2, B3, and B9 which plays an important role in glucose metabolism.
3. It extracts energy from our food and converts it into ATP (adenosine triphosphate), which is the biochemical form in which our body stores and uses energy.
4. One cup of cooked Chana Dal provides 33% of your protein for the day.
5. Being a rich antioxidant, Chana Dal reduce the damage done by free radicals to the blood vessels and lowers inflammation.
6. Being a very good source of folic acid, chana dal helps in lowering the levels of homocysteine and reduces the risk of blood clots and hardening of the arteries.
7. The magnesium in chana dal proves to be effective in relaxing your blood vessels and thus regulates the action of your heart.
8. The glycemic index of raw Bengal gram dal is extremely low around 8 which make it super food for diabetics.
9. The high fiber content of the dal allows slow release of glucose into the bloodstream and manages your blood sugar levels.
10. It has negligible amount of fats, helps in lowering your cholesterol levels. It also contributes in managing your blood pressure.
11. Being rich in Magnesium, improves insulin response by lowering insulin resistance.
12. Chana dal has high amount of potassium and low amount of sodium which makes it very effective in regulating your blood pressure.
13. It also maintains the electrolyte balance of your body
14. Chana Dal is extremely high in Fiber and 1 cup of cooked dal 54% of your daily Fiber requirements.
15. Chana dal is fat and cholesterol free which will help you in losing some extra Weight.
16. It is also rich in protein so you can combine your dal with any cereal to make it a complete protein.
17. Good for skin also it helps in building immunity, is good for skin, great Antioxidant and involved in energy metabolism and hormone production
18. Zinc is essential to treat night blindness. Zinc helps in the activity of an enzyme in our body that helps produce Vitamin A, which is useful in treating night blindness.
19. Chana Dal is rich in the mineral Phosphorus which builds strong bones and teeth plus works with Calcium to strengthen our bones. Also Magnesium works in the formation of bones.
20. Chana Dal is rich in the mineral Phosphorus which acts as a buffer – helps to neutralize the acids and maintain pH levels in the body.
21. Chana dal being a good source of folic acid helps in preventing the birth defects of child’s brain and spinal cord. Plus folic acid also plays a vital role in the formation of red blood cells
22. Chana Dal is rich in the mineral Potassium and helps break down the carbs you have in your meal.
Delicious Chana Dal Recipes you must Try
4. Hyderabadi Kabuli Biryani – Qubooli Recipe
5. Chana Dal Karela Recipe
6. Chana Dal Halwa Pakistani Recipe